Kaikohe dog contol


Today I realised I can no longer walk around the town I live in.  I realised that if  a dog chased me, like one did this morning, and my toddler was with me, I wouldn't have been able to run.  Today I thought the loose, aggressive dog, that growled then ran at me from within a fully fenced property with the gate left open, that I have reported before, was going to get me.    

I realised that no matter how much I railed at the machine – it has beaten me.  Today I realised, they win.  Today. I. Give. Up.

Walk, says the physiotherapist. Walk, says the surgeon. I like walking.  On 30 December 2017, I slipped on our bush track driveway, causing a spiral fracture requiring surgery and some hardware.  As there was no way I could cope with the rough roads and tracks of home, I began spending a lot of time at my elder son’s home in Kaikohe, and as I could I walked. 

I was concerned at the number of roaming dogs loose in Kaikohe, I was constantly needing to walk in different directions, cross to walk on the side of the road with no footpath, out on the road etc. to avoid stray dogs.  I began carrying a stock-stick and it was quite frightening how many times I had to use it to fend off dogs having a go at me. 

I first emailed the council on 23 July 2018 just to advise I was concerned with the number of loose and wandering dogs I was seeing in Kaikohe.  There’d been a particular loose dog (further information supplied) that I’d had to pass with my toddler on a number of occasions, and I asked that the ranger be more pro-active in the area.

The following are copy and paste emails in chronological order.  I have omitted time stamps, automated conformations and repeated replies.  All of this is available to media on request.

6 August 2018
Loose dog AGAIN. My toddler and I, and another pedestrian, had to cross the road and walk where there is no footpath to avoid this dog.

6 August 2018
Email complaint FROM council that they can't contact ME.

7 August 2018
I have just driven up Bisset Road, Kaikohe.
The same dog is wandering about again.
I will continue to report every single dog I see, every time I go out.
I don't think it is ok that I have to take a stick when I take my toddler for a walk because of a roaming dog problem.

8 August 2018
Two dogs on De Merle at 11.30 this morning.
Another on Tawanui Road at 11.40 this morning.
I almost never (don’t) see wandering dogs when I drive or walk around Kaikohe - it is a serious problem.
I'm not interested in feedback that someone has driven past. I want to be able to take my child for a walk without encountering a stray dog.
I will continue to report every sighting until the problem is under control.

9 August 2018
I had walked down to the Kaikohe night market with my child, Mayor John Carter was there ‘promoting’ the new dog control proposal.  I explained the problems we’d been having, I had my dog-stick with me and he was ‘sympathetic’, gave me his card and told me to CC him into the emails.

So I did.

(As an aside, I did submit on the Council's dog control bill. My submission was that the council didn't need more bylaws, just to effectively enforce the ones they already have.)

10 August 2018
Hi there,
Mr Carter, it was lovely to meet you on Thursday evening. I will rehash, for continuity, some of what we discussed and add another chapter in this ongoing saga and included you in the email as requested.

I received a phone call from the ranger on the morning of Thursday 10 August 2018.  The ranger told me he was on Bisset Road and unable to see any loose dogs in Kaikohe and as there's only been one dog attack in Kaikohe in the past month it is not a priority and that his area is from Towai to Mangamuka and he's busy. I said that's fine, I will continue to report every loose dog I see, as council is legislated for dog control. The ranger told me I'd be complaining a lot.  I said yes because there is a lot of loose dogs and I believe as a ratepayer I should be able to walk my child to the shop without having to carry a stick because dogs see small children as prey.  He said, We know that's not true.

I'm not sure where the ranger received his training (if at all), but prey aggression towards humans is almost always directed at babies or small children.  Let's be realistic, the dogs wandering about Kaikohe are not Cavoodles or Bichon Frise's, and when a wandering dog approaches me and my small child, drops it's head, shoulders and tail in a defensive stance or with an aggressive stance I'm not interested in what the ranger believes is true.
Today, Friday 10 August 2018, my 3 year old child and I went for a walk to the supermarket. We left a property on Tawanui Road about 2 pm, walking towards and on to Bisset Road.  Again there is a dog loose, it is curled up sleeping on the berm outside a house on Bisset Road.
I crossed the road, to walk with my child where there is no footpath, and as we neared the dog got up and began approaching us. Please find the photos attached.
As I carry a stick, because of the wandering dog problem, I waved this and yelled at the dog as I dragged my child as fast as we could both walk and the dog disengaged from the situation and we carried on. This happened at 2.25 pm.

At a safe distance from the dog my child and I crossed back to the footpath and continued where we crossed Hillcrest Road and we were waiting for traffic to clear to cross to De Merle Street when the dog ranger turned from Hillcrest Road on to Bisset Road, heading towards Broadway.
As we'd just experienced a rather frightening situation, I phoned the ranger (using the number that had come up on my phone when he'd phoned me on 9 August 2018). 
I identified myself and told him I'd just seen him drive past and the Bisset Road dog was out, did he see it. He asked me why I was ringing him. The ranger then told me that he'd just driven down that street and hadn't seen the dog. I said I don't think so, dogs don't magically disappear. The ranger told me he was magically doing his job.

Just WOW.

It took me 30 Minutes to walk from the centre of lower Tawanui Road to the intersection of Hillcrest and Bisset because not only do I have to walk the pace of a small child, I have just had a surgical screw removed from my ankle (I still have the stitches).  One can drive all the streets of Kaikohe in 30 minutes.
As we continued our walk down De Merle Street and were waiting to cross to head down Clifford Street, the ranger turned from Clifford, on to De Merle and then turned right onto Bisset.  The dog was not there when we returned home.

I've had two phone conversations with the ranger, both times he has acted as I am the problem, rather than the stray dogs.

I will continue to report every single loose or stray dog I see and I will continue to click the 'no response' on the form. 

Please can you ensure the ranger does not contact me again. 

I want the loose and stray dogs cleared off the streets of Kaikohe, not to engage in ridiculous conversations with some one who clearly just makes excuses.

11 August 2018
Please find attached photos of the loose dog on Hongi Street at 9.25 am and again at 10.30 am on Saturday 11 August 2018.
This same dog was also loose on Tawanui Road at 2.25 pm on the same day.

13 August 2018
Bisset road 9.40 am 
I drove past observing a man with a small child actively avoiding this dog.
Please see attached photo.

17 August 2018
Yesterday on Thursday 16 August 2018 I drove out of Kaikohe in the morning and back in to Kaikohe in the afternoon.
9.35 Loose dog on Bisset Road (the usual one)
3.40 pm Loose dog on corner of Hongi and De Merle Streets

29 August 2018
The yellow dog on Bisset Road was out wandering again this morning, 29 August, at 9.33.

Last Sunday, 26 August, I did a quick drive to the shop and there were THREE loose dogs.
Something needs to change.  We all want Kaikohe to be a safe place for people to live, work and play and all I want is to be able to go for a walk with my child without
needing to take a stick to fight off stray dogs.

29 August 2018
Reply from Mayor CCing three other people.
I will follow this up

31 August 2018
Loose dog on Wihongi Street 7.20 am Friday 31 August.

31 August 2018
This morning, 31 August 2018, at 10.45 am I was walking on Heke Street Kaikohe with my toddler when a dog came out of a house driveway, went into another driveway, came out again and began wandering down  the road, I took the photo attached but was unable to take a better photo as the dog came towards us because I had to take evasive action. I dropped my phone, pushed my child behind me and I yelled at the dog and threatened it with my stick, this action alerted the builders down the road, but thankfully the dog turned away. 
By this time my child had been frightened, and mashed the sandwich he was holding into my leg.
I was only walking down the road to meet someone. Surely I should be able to walk around without continually having to take evasive action to avoid wandering dogs.
That was the second loose dog I had seen on my short walk this morning.  The first was on the corner of De Merle and Ripi Streets.
I had a phone conversation with Ken Thomas this morning, who called to tell me they'd collected a dog off Bisset Road. When I said, well that's a start - he lamented the lack of resources.
It is all very well to bring in new policy on dogs, but it seems council is not fulfilling it's legal obligations on dog control.
Quite simply, the Council is legislatively obligated for Dog Control, both under the Local Government Act 2002 and the Dog Control Act 1996, if there is such a problem with resources that residents in Kaikohe can't walk down the street without fighting off stray dogs, the 'resources' are the least of the problem.


The Reply  CCing in 17 other people...
Afternoon 
Thanks for the email.
It is correct that we do not have enough resources nor can the ratepayers afford for us to police the whole of the district twenty four hours a day seven days a week nor is it practical to do so.
What can work is were (sic) we get a community behind to assist with issues such as this.
We are hopeful that with community support and our endeavours along with a number of groups such as BOI Watch Dog an Animal Rescue that we will make progress to resolve this issue.
Please keep advising us as you have been doing.
All the best
John
Hon John Carter QSO

I'm not stupid, I know a corporate brush off...
So I replied;
Thanks for your reply, it certainly helps me understand how things are progressing.
I do understand there are finite resources and no one expects the whole district to be 'policed twenty four hours a day seven days a week' and I agree 'nor is it practical to do so'. 
However, when the problem is as bad as it, with multiple wandering dogs on an almost daily basis (and these are just the ones I see), perhaps a stint of closer monitoring would be beneficial.
All I want to be able to do is go for a walk without needing to take a stick because of wandering dogs and the potential threat to myself and my small child.

Also 31 August 2018
Various CC’d internal council emails asking if publicity or a ‘blitz’ would help.
Interestingly, Council had been assuring me they were already doing everything they could.

24 September 2018
I haven't been over much due to the weather, but ventured out for a walk today in Kaikohe for the first time in a couple of weeks.
A medium sized black dog with a white bib was roaming about by the Kindy on the corner of Bisset and Hillcrest at 10.41 am on 24/09/18.
It did not approach and was heading up Hillcrest as we reached the corner.

25 September 2019 (Photo attached)
This dog was wandering up Bisset Road in Kaikohe at 3.20 pm, it crossed in front of my car and I photographed it on the grounds of the Care Home.
It had a green registration tag on.


27 September 2018 (Photo attached. This was the dog that chased me on 26 February 2019).
This brindle medium size dog was wandering alongside Bisset Road in the Care Home grounds this morning, 27/09/18 at 7.30 am.

13 November 2018
Hi there,
I'm writing again on the issue of wandering dogs in Kaikohe.
Although the problem lessened for a few weeks, while I was essentially complaining everyday, it does take up a lot of my time, I am very busy and quite frankly have better things to do than whinge to the council. However, this is unfortunately still is an ongoing issue.
Please see attached photos of dogs from the past week.
13/11/18 Bisset Road 8.33 am
7/11/18 Bisset Road 8.40 am
6/11/18 Bisset Road around 8.30 am
The first two are photos of the same dog which was the basis of my first complaint and I understand was picked up, impounded and clearly has been returned. 
Also this morning, a person riding a bicycle along Bisset Road had a very large 'terrier type breed' that was running loose along the footpath among the cabling works and workers, people taking their toddlers into the Little Gems daycare and myself and toddler walking along the footpath.

It is very frightening to have a 30 - 40 kg large dog running towards us unrestrained while its owner is across the road ineffectively calling it.

I don't know what the answer to this problem is, aside from more dog ranger patrols and enforcing the dog control legislation, but I fear once the Residential Tenancy Act is amended to allow everyone the right to keep a companion animal, this problem is going to get worse.
I really just want to walk around without having to deal with stray dogs

Also during November 2018 I did a mail drop down Harold Ave and all the streets off it and encountered six loose dogs, and was unable to finish the mail drop.  This event was not reported because, as you can see complaining about loose dogs in Kaikohe takes up a lot of my time, and I have a life.  I bitterly regret not reporting this incident in light of what has happened to Mr Morgan and his dog Sandy


4 December 2018

This morning, 4 December 2018 between 9 am and 11.30 am, I walked the highlighted streets of the map above and I encountered eight dogs. 
Yes, EIGHT dogs.

Four of those dogs took no notice of me and I was able to warily carry on with my activity.
Two of those dogs behaved aggressively (standing in aggressive stance and barking but not approaching), so I changed my path/crossed the street/ backed away turned and left the street, unable to carry out my legitimate activity.  I had to also warn two adults who were with a pre-school age child who was skipping and dancing along the footpath of the dog that had just chased me out of the dead-end street, they then of course had to curb the child's activity so they could better protect her from the large dog that by then was on it's way around the corner.
Two of those dogs (in separate incidents) ran at me in attack mode, barking aggressively and I had to take emergency evasive action putting my bag between myself and the dog while I yelled at it, hit it and backed off.

This is in two and a half hours on the public footpaths of Kaikohe.

It appears the dog problem is getting worse, not better, and with school holidays approaching there is going to be a tragedy.

We deserve better!

We have the right to walk around the streets of our small town, with our children skipping, dancing and playing without being continually approached/attacked/scared off by stray dogs.
This is out of control and I demand effective action.

5 December 2018 (photo attached)
This pack of three dogs was running loose on the lower end of Tawanui Road at 7.35 pm on Wednesday 5 December 2018.

30 January 2019
Loose Dog This morning, as I was walking my young child to day care just after 9 am on Bisset Road, a small dog rushed out of the property at us barking aggressively. I had to drag my child out onto the road where there was oncoming traffic, thankfully driving slowly, to avoid this dog. I dropped my child off at his day care and as I was crossing Hillcrest Road I could see this dog had wandered as far down as the Little Gem's day care. By the time I got there, the dog had gone back to 13 Bisset Road and as I walked past again it rushed me again barking aggressively, I had my phone camera ready and was able to take the photos. Despite there being a car in the driveway of the hose nobody attended their loose barking dog.

19 February 2019
This morning 19.02.19 at around 10.45 am, again the small dog rushed out at me passing, walking on the footpath, barking and snarling. Photo attached.
Also attached is a photo of a large dog roaming on De Merle Street on Sunday 17.02.19 at about 9.00 am. 
I've reported both these dogs on previous occasions.

Later in the week a person from dog control phoned me to tell me, I felt he was trying to guilt-trip me, that this dog was owned by an old lady who said she was unaware of the issue and would chain the dog up and was concerned that she might get a fine and was thinking of surrendering the dog.  Being the dog is often on a shiny new chain out the front of the house, I think she knew very well there is a problem with her dog.  

26 February 2019
As I was walking back from dropping my child off at daycare, at about 9.15 am on 26/02/19, a large brindle dog, which was sitting down the driveway of a house on Bisset Road, growled and began to run down the driveway towards me - the gate to the property was open. I ran, as fast as I could around the corner, from where I phoned Robert from Dog Control (as requested).
I have reported this dog as wandering on a previous occasion.

I bloody give up.  I will no longer be walking anywhere in Kaikohe. The constant wandering dogs and dogs rushing at me and my child. I have been trying for seven months to address this issue with council, and it is getting no better, and over the last few weeks worse.
I have put in a call to media this morning. I have had enough.
This is absolutely ridiculous.

26 February 2019 D
Dog control phoned me a short while later, telling me he had attended the address, that the gate was open and the dog on the porch, that the owner had heard the dog barking but when they looked they didn’t see anything. The person from dog control said he explained the obligations of dog ownership and warned they may get a fine…
We had words – I have reported this dog before and it is beyond my belief that even when the owner is found by dog control to have a loose dog, confirms the events with his dog barking, there are no actual repercussions. 

When he told me that he was bound by laws as to what he could do, I agreed and told him I was well aware of the legislative obligations the council had under Central Government’s Dog Control Act, what they could and couldn’t do and council is failing in its obligations. I received the same platitudes as previously and astoundingly he was LAUGHING as he hung up the phone.

Does a person need to actually be bitten for it to be considered serious? I believe I was only ‘not bitten’ because I was able to get away.

Last Tuesday 19 February my older son and I, with home owner’s permission of course, cleared vegetation overhanging the footpath along Bisset Road, to make for a more pleasant walk, we also swept smashed alcohol bottles away.

But I give up.
I can’t fight the council to effectively control dangerous wandering and loose dogs anymore.
I will drive my child to day care and home again.
I will drive my car to the shops.
It is simply not safe to walk on the footpath in the town I live in because the council is ineffective in its legislative obligation to control dogs.

And Hey, it's not just me.
Jim Morgan, who lives around the corner has been attacked by dogs FIVE times and his little dog mauled so badly she had to be put down.  Cynthia and Gary Moran were attacked on the Kaikohe cycle trail.   This woman was knocked to the ground and attacked by three dogs not far from Kaikohe. These are just recent ones that are first hits on Google.  

28 February 2019
Phoned media again.


Yeah I had a quick look, we're really busy here, yeah I need to read through and get my head around it and decide what I'm going to ask council... So, no one cares, no one cares, no one cares, no one fucking cares.

I haven't heard back from Council or the Mayor.

But hey, it's ok.  The Bark in the Park event has received extensive coverage and raised money for animal charities...  How much council money went towards this event while we can't walk to daycare due to dangerous dogs roaming the streets?  Edited to add - apparently none.  But I will OIA how much is spent on community dog 'projects'.
But we can't walk around the corner to our daycare because of loose/wandering and aggressive dogs.

Something is seriously wrong.


It is rather ironic that FNDC has made commitments to managing hazards to climate change, yet  my efforts to leave my car at home are stymied because it's not safe to walk. 
This morning I emailed all the FNDC's councilors.

I'M REALLY ANGRY.


1 March 2019

I woke this morning at 6.00 am to an email from the a volunteer group that is prolific in its efforts to 'speak for dogs'.  I have this person's email address because council CC'd them into one of their responses to me months ago.  I did not intentionally email this person when I 'replied to all'


This is the only contact I have received since the phone call from the ranger, despite me contacting, much everyone.  My Bold.

What a nightmare! Poor you!

I hope it's ok, I shared this with our committee of about 10 volunteers, many of whom really know dogs well, are trainers etc. I don't - I used to be dog phobic till mid thirties, so am new to adoring them. I will see if they have ideas for solutions for you, and Kaikohe, that are a bit creative. As clearly, calling Council is not working at all.

FYI we have given info to Council on wandering dogs and how to begin solve that problem. I've attached a handout that we gave them during the last consultations. We looked at what works, from overseas experience and locally, and eventually would hope that we could get some of these ideas moving in Northland. Animal 'control' works far less well than animal 'education'. That is not to say that you can avoid 'control', just that if you want change, it has to be broader. I guess like drink driving - you can police it, but in the end it is campaigns like 'be a legend and stop a mate drink driving' that changes behaviour widely.

In the meantime, stay safe, and I will get back to you once our dog experts have told me what they think.

Cheers

XXXX

PS Don't despair. This is the beginning of a change, it really is - things are shifting. Look at the success of the Chip n Snip in Moerewa, and Bark in the Park in Kawakawa last weekend. I know that doesn't help you today, in Kaikohe, trying to walk the streets with safety. But slowly it is changing. I'll get back to you.

I sat in bed and cried. 
Really.  What the actual fuck. 

Several hours later I replied.

No, it is not ok that you shared my email without asking me FIRST.
You may have been 'dog phobic' - but I am not.  I certainly don't think not wanting to constantly encounter strange dogs  wandering public streets, that MOST OFTEN behave aggressively is being dog phobic.
It is also incredibly telling that the ONLY response I have had to my email is from a volunteer group implying, again that I am the problem.
All I have ever wanted to do is walk on the public footpath, to the local daycare around the corner and down to the shops, and to friend's places. I can't do that.  I have been repeatedly attacked by dogs and I realise I am unable to protect my child.
I have been driving everywhere, and I am still seeing loose and wandering dogs.
There are quite a lot of people who walk about Kaikohe with big sticks because of the dog problem
After SEVEN months, I have no interest whatsoever in publicity campaigns, events or excuses.
These people SIMPLY DO NOT CARE.
No amount of 'education' will changed their behaviour.

Their reply - 

I'm a volunteer who made the effort to write back to you at 10.50pm on the day you wrote to me, suggesting that I seek help from dog experts on how to solve the problem of wandering dogs in Kaikohe, and find out how to help you protect yourself better in the meantime. I was sympathetic, tried to discuss the issues, and I genuinely feel badly for you and anyone else who fears walking, anywhere, because of dogs. 
I am not implying you are part of the problem, I am saying it outright. Dogs respond negatively to fear, and to sticks. You are scared, and angry, and carrying sticks. This may exacerbate what we know is already a problem in Kaikohe, which is too many wandering dogs. This is also something which you need to know to stay safe. It is not 'blaming' you. It is just plain fact. There are better ways to remain safe around wandering dogs and it would be irresponsible of me to not tell you that.
Your reply to me below is rude, and you SHOUT at me with your capitals. In doing so you are alienating people who could possibly help. I understand that you feel desperate about this, but this response is not ok. The Council may have to put up with this, but I'm a volunteer, and I don't. 
I will keep trying to solve the problem of wandering dogs, in various towns including Kaikohe, voluntarily, and using the best research from NZ and overseas to inform how we can do that.
I will not correspond with you further, and ask that you do likewise. 

Wow - nice that after 7 months the priority is protecting the dogs from attacking people who are so bloody scared of being attacked, they are carrying sticks to fight off attacking dogs.
So I have replied; These emails have CC'd in all the council and dog 'control'. 


I woke up to an email at 6 am blaming me for being attacked by wandering dogs in Kaikohe. The only response i have had to this problem. 

 At her request I am happy to no longer correspond with XXXX.

I am not interested in being victim blamed by a person for whom human safety is clearly not a priority. 


I am not implying you are part of the problem, I am saying it outright. Dogs respond negatively to fear, and to sticks. You are scared, and angry, and carrying sticks. This may exacerbate what we know is already a problem in Kaikohe, which is too many wandering dogs. This is also something which you need to know to stay safe. It is not 'blaming' you. It is just plain fact. There are better ways to remain safe around wandering dogs and it would be irresponsible of me to not tell you that. "



I am scared, because I have been constantly attacked by roaming dogs in Kaikohe.  I am angry because I have been trying to address this issue for SEVEN months. I (and others) carry sticks because we need to defend against attacking dogs in Kaikohe. There are too many wandering dogs in Kaikohe, the 'known problem' because Council is not fulfilling its dog control obligations.

I have actually discovered the ONLY way to remain safe around the wandering dogs in Kaikohe is to NOT WALK anywhere. 
This is simply not good enough. 


10 am

I've just had a phone call from Ken, from animal control, and the FIRST person to express empathy for our situation. 

He agreed the problem is the people simply don't care, and the culture change is hard.

But apparently Kaikohe is not the worst place in the Far-North for dog problems.

I explained the email I received from the volunteer dog group. 
No, that isn't ok. No it is not MY fault. He is also scared when he had to deal with some of these dogs, and their people.
Dog control get this crap from this group often too.

11 am

I've had a phone call from the General Manager - District Services at FNDC

I do understand Council are in a difficult situation.

And, the standard line is there's not enough resources.  

The problem in Kaikohe is bad. It is bloody frightening to think that the problem in other areas of the Far-North is worse.

So why aren't council allocating more resources to dog control?

So, the only thing left to do is lobby council to allocate more resources for dog control.

I will be doing this.

But I will no longer be walking anywhere in Kaikohe. 

I still haven't heard back from media. 



12.40

Story published by the Northern Advocate

Elderly man fends off attack by pack of dogs in Dargaville, organises petition. 


"Jones said there were too many stray dogs roaming the streets in Dargaville. "Why should we be imprisoned in our own homes because of these damn dogs?

"I feel very nervous not just for me. I meet a lot of people including elderly ladies and women with children and I'm terrified for them because they are vulnerable.

"Some of the ladies I've spoken to are incensed about the number of dogs roaming the streets and. In some cases, they won't go outdoors for a walk at all."

Jones was taking a leisurely stroll on the high school grounds in Dargaville in mid-January of this year, when he said he was "almost attacked, by five pig dogs".

"They came out of nowhere, rushing at me. I can't outrun a dog. I can't outrun anything these days."

Fortunately, he was able to fend off the pack of dogs with an umbrella as he ran to a neighbouring house.

"One dog was trying to get at my legs from behind – and I managed to get myself onto Kauri St. At that stage, I became aware, that one of the flats was open and I warned the lady living there what was happening, then she assisted me to get away."

Ironically it's the Northern Advocate I am (still) waiting to hear back from. 

From the Dog Control Act 1996

4(c) the importance of enabling, to the extent that is practicable, the public
(including families) to use streets and public amenities without fear of attack or intimidation by dogs; and 

S57A makes dogs rushing at persons, animals or vehicles an offence and; 

33ED(2)that a territorial authority can deem a dog dangerous following an attack, rush or startle.

There is no doubt Council is failing in many aspects of their obligation to uphold this Act.


Tuesday 5 March

Finally heard back from media.
"Surprised by the FNDC claim that the situation is worse in other parts of the Far North, but that does give me an idea for an Official Information Act Request... we'll see what the numbers say...".

Meanwhile...

I haven't been out much in Kaikohe. Where I would drop my little one off and walk down to the shops, have a browse about pick up a few things, have a coffee etc.  

Since I've already got the car out, I may as well carry on to Kerikeri and Waipapa.  

This is something local businesses should be concerned about too.

And the wandering dogs continue...

Saturday 2 March 2019
The usual suspect wandering about. These people simply don't give a shit about anyone else.  They also regularly park across the footpath, on the footpath beside other vehicles completely blocking it, meaning pedestrians have to not only step on to the road, but walk out into the road to go around the parked car.  There is NO shortage of parking in the street. They are too lazy to walk another 5 or ten steps and don't care in the slightest that parents have to push their baby strollers into the road.

A friends cat was attacked and it's leg so badly broken it had to be amputated. 


10 March 2019 
There were FIVE dogs, seen. A pack of three at about 9.15 am, one of the usual (repeatedly described above) and a red-nose pitty X down De Merle Street.

The Facebook message boards are full of 'lost dog' posts. 

Incredibly things like lost my two somewhere between Piahia and Haruru Falls if you see them message me... that's kiwi breeding bush land.  There's many 'no dogs' kiwi breeding sanctuaries, and many times there's dogs, either being walked running free and there's always dog poo. 

Another asking people to look out for their dog, it's known to wander. Was it the one seen dragging it's chain in the area?  No. Their 'known to wander' dog wasn't tied up.  Wow.
Constant posts of dogs running in traffic, dogs hit by cars - with the incredible platitudes of how drivers need to be more careful... 

There's always dogs at 'no dog' beaches. Last time we went to the beach (a 'no dogs beach') I had to ask a dog owner to remove his dog that was trying to eat my child's food!  There were other dogs there, doing poos on the beach which were never picked up, and yes, there was dog poo everywhere.  At least they were friendly dogs!  

This is what we are up against - And seriously, isn't this specifically a 'dangerous dog' which is prohibited in the legislation?






From the Dog Control Act 1996

4(c) the importance of enabling, to the extent that is practicable, the public
(including families) to use streets and public amenities without fear of attack or intimidation by dogs;

There is no point having laws, rules and regulations if they are simply not enforced. 



11 March 
Only saw two wandering dogs today.  It's often quite hard to get photos etc when you're driving past.


28 April 2019 
I simply don't have the time to continue the fight and honestly I don't really have the heart. The council simply don't care, they're inept in everything they do and I have absolutely no respect for them.  There are SEVEN significant slips on the roads to our home and only one is under repair (SH1 so not a council road) - but I'd rather have the dogs controlled.

I've spoken to this reporter twice on this very issue, none of my story or information has been used in this story Dog attacks: Dargaville and Kaikohe folk scared to walk their streets after pets mauled.  It really shows what a huge problem it is.

On Easter weekend a friend and I went for a walk in Kaikohe town, we were out a bit over an hour and saw SIX dogs.  That same weekend our local Facebook page was distraught because two dogs ripped a cat to pieces on the side of the road.  There was photographic evidence and it was horrific.

But the council having recently toughened up the dog control regulations (although they were fine before, just not enforced - and they're still not).  Making new rules means nothing if they're not enforced.

The Far North District Council has just voted to do nothing to improve things and protect the community even after many knowledgeable people spoke at recent FNDC submission meetings. Councillors are: John Carter, Tania McInnes, Anne Court, Sally Macauley, John Vujsich, Kelly Stratford, Colin Kitchen, Mate Radich, Dave Hookway, Felicity Foy. Below is what the vets have to deal with.... kids, adults, kiwi, sheep, etc, are also getting attacked up here on a regular basis. Bridget King published on Northland Grapevine Info Sharing Group

Highway Vets and Pets Kerikeri published this;
"DOG BITES AND DOG CONTROL - Controversial topic
I have recently had a variety of both cats and dogs to reassemble after dog bites.
Dog bites are very often much worse a week after the event when the damage caused by the back teeth crushing tissue becomes evident. Early treatment is vital.
One recent one was a terrier with fairly mild looking bite marks to hip area but over 4 weeks it had 5 major surgeries to correct a hernia due to crushed muscle, removal of about a metre of crushed intestine, and sliding skin grafts to replace lost crushed skin. She is now fit and well.
Another was running on a beach and bitten by a larger dog on a lead. It had a large neck gash with the jugular vein clearly visible and luckily intact. All came right.
Friday evening I repaired a fractured hind leg in a cat attacked by a dog. The femur needed a pin and the cat will be caged for at least two weeks.
Yesterday afternoon another dog with severely swollen leg from bites evening before.
And so they go on.........often more than one a week.
After reassembling probably hundreds of bitten animals I don't think have ever dealt with a case where both dogs were on leads and under control.
While free running is great for dogs, all owners have a great responsibility to ensure their control is effective enough to keep others and themselves safe. Many dog bite incidents also involve bitten humans as they struggle to restore order.
DOES YOUR DOG NEED FREE RUNNING, AND IS THE ENVIRONMENT SUITABLE FOR IT AND OTHER DOGS FREE RUNNING???"

We pay some of the highest rates in New Zealand, we are one of the most impoverished regions in New Zealand yet the head of the FNDC is the third highest paid council chief executive in New Zealand and we can't get our council to act on their central government legislated obligation for effective dog control in our region.

10 June 2019

And, here we go again.
Same shit, different town.

Two Northland children savaged by dogs in 20 minutes



This is written by the reporter who didn't follow up on anything I told him, he has the FULL accounts of what is briefly written here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Zealand turning into Venezuela? More like Rwanda.

I didn't ask for an extention

In Search of Equilibrium